The Enterprise Video Challenge
The past few years have seen a dramatic increase in the use of video as a communication tool in the enterprise. Thanks to lower production costs, many organizations are seeking ways to exploit video as an attractive alternative to traditional text-based communication for Employee Collaboration, Online Training, Research, Customer Service, Marketing, and Corporate Communications.
But this growth of enterprise video comes with its own unique set of challenges:
Lack of Video Infrastructure
While creating high-quality videos has become cheaper and easier, many enterprises still struggle with the basics of providing enterprise video to their employees and customers. These basics include handling the demanding storage requirements of video, coping with distribution and streaming to remote offices with limited bandwidth, and supporting video encoding for multiple devices and end-points.
Limited Search and Accessibility
Metadata is crucial to making content accessible and discoverable through search, but video content, unlike documents, is notoriously thin when it comes to usable metadata. As a result, it is very difficult and sometimes impossible to find using conventional text-based search tools. If it can’t be found, its value goes unrealized.
Weak Content Management Integration
Many enterprises treat video as a distinct information type and manage it separately from traditional text-based assets (documents, web pages, presentations, …). Also, established content management tools that work well for managing text assets are incomplete or ineffective when it comes to videos. The result is that video often goes un-managed, unused, and under-valued.
The RAMP Solution
RAMP MediaCloud™ for SharePoint provides customers with an answer to their enterprise video challenges.
RAMP MediaCloud™ is an award-winning, cloud-based platform for storing, enriching, distributing, and streaming on-demand enterprise video. Unique to RAMP MediaCloud™ is RAMP’s proprietary, patented technology to automatically generate text transcripts and metadata from video. The metadata produced by RAMP MediaCloud™ is used to enable search across otherwise inaccessible spoken word – increasing the likelihood that video assets will be found.
By integrating RAMP MediaCloud™ with SharePoint Server 2010, RAMP has delivered a complete and powerful enterprise video platform that leverages the powerful, native capabilities of SharePoint to make video a “first class citizen” within the content and search fabric of the enterprise.
Cloud-based Video Management
- Secure cloud-based storage and delivery (CDN)
- Video upload and management
- Integrated multi-format video encoding and transcoding
- High performance streaming
- Active Directory integration
- 3rd party Video CMS integration
Video Metadata Generation and Curation
- Time-coded transcriptions on video using automated speech-to-text with the option for human editorial transcriptions
- Semantic processing to extract meaning from transcripts and metadata
- Automatic video thumb-nailing and scene segmentation
Interactive Video Playback
- In-video keyword search
- Time-coded (contextual) keyword highlighting
- Contextual content spotlighting
- Audio-based scene segmentation
- “Related content” links
- Social sharing
- SharePoint-powered blended or "universal" (video + documents) search results
- Pre-built SharePoint Web Parts for search and video player
- Integration with SharePoint media asset and library management